Celebrities buy art, and not just any art, they buy amazing art. But what art do they buy? It’s actually not that hard to find out and some of these art collections are very impressive. Here are some amazing celebrity art collections:
- George Lucas: owns a vast collection of American Illustrations. Lucas has even started the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art. Some of the art Lucas has bought includes Norman Rockwell, N.C Wyeth, Maxfield Parish, John Tenniel, and Carl Barks.
- Oprah: is a major collector of African-American art. She also recently sold a Gustav Klimt masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer II for $150 million. She has an extensive collection of art including Hovsep Pushman’s Little Mother, which she also sold for $45,000, and Faith Ringgold.
- Sofia Coppola: is a big contemporary art collector. Coppola collects all sorts of art work, including photography, drawings, and paintings. Some of the items in her collection include Tina Barney, Richard Prince, Elizabeth Peyton, and Ed Ruscha.
- Madonna: loves to collect contemporary art, especially art work by women. Her collection includes artists such as Frida Kahlo, Picasso, Damien Hirst, Man Ray, and Fernand Leger. Her art collection is worth more than $160 million.
- Leonardo DiCaprio: often raises money for his environmental endeavors by selling pieces of his own collection. He has works from Oscar Murillo, Salvador Dali, and Takasha Mukarami.
- Jay-Z and Beyonce: own several valuable pieces of art, including two pieces by Damien Hirst named after Jay-Z’s own lyrics. They also own work by Andy Warhol, Richard Prince, Pablo Picasso, Sue Webster, and George Condo, among some.
- Mary Kate Olsen: collects work from Andy Warhol, Thomas Ruff, and Nobuyoshi Araki.
As with everything celebrities tend to do, we are fascinated by where their passion for art comes. They not only love contemporary and modern art, they also love the classics, photography and sculpture. Time to pay more attention to what your favorite celebrities are collecting!