We all love our cheat foods every once in a while. But what about that food that we think is healthy, when it is more harmful than anything else?
Find out about 10 dangerous ingredients found in your usual food:
- Artificial sweeteners: aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose can lead to as diabetes, hypoglycemia, and even cancer. Watch out if your usual food includes diet soda, sugar free gum, light yogurt, whole grain bread, fat free chips and low-calorie sports drinks.
- Sodium Nitrates And Sodium Nitrites: foods like hot dogs, bacon, lunchmeat, and some red meats, are full of these ingredients, which can lead to cancer and formation of methemoglobin instead of hemoglobin, but which isn’t able to carry oxygen.
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA): although deemed safe by the FDA, this preservative leads to cancer and interferes with endocrine levels. You may be shocked at how many of your usual foods are full of BHA, some include butter, cereal, beer, baked food, gum, and mashed potatoes.
- Potassium bromate: you can find this ingredient in flatbreads and wraps, it speeds up the bread-making process, but can also lead to nervous system disorders and gastric conditions, such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- rBGH and rBST: these two are found in every yogurt you eat that isn’t Greek or organic. rBGH and rBST are a result of growth hormones given to dairy cows to boost milk production. These ingredients also increase IGF-1, a hormone tied to breast and prostate cancer.
- Azodicarbonamide: this ingredient is not only hard to pronounce, it is also asthma-inducing and can cause other respiratory problems. It is found in wheat foods, such as boxed pasta.
- Agave nectar: even if you think that it is a healthy replacement for sweeteners, the truth is that it contains about 50-97 percent of fructose, and increases insulin resistance. It can lead to inflammation and even fatty liver disease. Watch out when eating ice cream, energy bars, cereal, ketchup and other sauces, and of using it as a sweetener.
- Refined vegetable oil: when you cook with soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola oil, or peanut oil, you are eating this dangerous ingredient. Because these oils are deodorized and bleached, they lack vitamins and minerals, and instead cause free radical formation.
Eating refined oils increases blood triglycerides and contributes to heart disease.
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG): this amino acid is used as a flavor-enhancer, but has been found to increase neurological disorders, and stimulate appetite, leading to weight gain. You can find this ingredient in salad dressings, low-fat yogurt, canned meats, chips, frozen food, and crackers.
- Salt: consuming too much sodium can lead to health problems such as high blood pressure, neurological conditions, and even heart attacks. Food like canned soups, vegetables, soy sauces, condiments and deli meats are very high in salt.